Monday, July 11, 2005

Celebrity skin

London is slowly getting back to normal (or at least as normal as it can be right now) and so to do my bit I went to a party way over the other side of town on Saturday night. I was a little nervous on the way there, and more than a little drunk on the way back, but I made it in one piece and I'm so glad I did, it was great to see my friends.

For my friends wedding in April I made a mix cd. Now, 'made' doesn't really do it, or me, proper justice. I slaved over this mix for weeks, deciding on the tracks to put on there, waiting for my 'inner ear' to tell me what song would perfectly complement the one that went before, finding a decent bit of (free) software so that I could mix the songs together. At the wedding my cd didn't get played, but I didn't mind one bit, another (cooler) friend had made a motown cd which totally rocked and meant that I got to dance like my mum and dad did when they were young. Cool.

So, back to Saturday night, and there we were in the garden when Duran Duran 'The Reflex' came on, and I was all excited because a) it's Duran Duran and why wouldn't you be excited? and b) that's the first track on the cd I did which meant I had a legitimate reason to talk about it! Then as Simon Le Bon fades out, guess what fades in (in the perfect place)? It was only 'Mr Brightside' by The Killers - it was my cd! How exciting! But that wasn't the best bit - people loved it. Everyone wanted to know where the cd had come from, which of course led them to me! Double how exciting! For about an hour I squeaked "it's me" whilst pointing at myself with both hands for extra emphasis.

Then all of a sudden it was time to leave! I'd told Mr L. that I'd be in about 9ish, sober me didn't fancy being out too late on my own in London, but drunk/celebrity me totally forgot about the time and all of a sudden it was 10.30! I left in a hurry, like Cinderella. Well, like Cinderella if she had got both her shoes on and stopped to dance to Dexy's Midnight Runners 'Gino' in the kitchen on her way out.

Then drunk on attention and more than a little Moscow Mule I made my way home, smiling to myself and feeling all was right with my world. Until I got to London Bridge station and got confused by a vending machine. Seriously, it's at a station, you'd think they would make them drunk proof.

No comments: