Friday, July 15, 2005

I'm outta here!

Today is my last day in this job. It's also my last broadband day for a while, but I'm not thinking about that, it's too sad. I have brought in chocolatey goodies and also some 'exotic' fruit, 'cus it's so damn H.O.T. here at the moment. So this afternoon, we can sit around downstairs where the air-con doesn't quite reach, eat the fruit and pretend that we are somewhere way more exciting. Like Fiji, or Hawaii, or, well, it's not too hard to get more exotic than South London.

I am really looking forward to my new job, but I'm now also getting a bit nervous. I'm worried that I'll seem like a fraud as I try to desperately remember all my teaching skills and NHS acronyms. And they'll realise that I'm all nice shoes and no brains. Eek!

My leaving 'do' last night was nice, well, apart from the bit where I discovered the meat in my vegetarian moussaka. Double eek. And a yuck. But the rum, red wine, company and conversation was great. Especially the bit when someone younger than me said "This music is a bit modern isn't it" (they were playing Nirvana Unplugged in New York, man, I'd forgotten how much I love that album "cover your hair and your eyes" is such a good piece of advice, thanks Kurt). Anyway, to the "This music is a bit modern isn't it?" I replied, "he's been dead 10 years" to which the younger someone said "Guns'n'Roses man is dead?". Oh dear. I explained to him the difference between Nirvana and G'n'R and then maybe suggested he'd like to enroll in Indie Boot Camp. He didn't do himself any favours by later saying "Grunge. That's the name for the clothes that indie people wear isn't it?". Oh dear, he has so much to learn.

No comments: