Monday, June 06, 2005

The second coming

So, the Live8 concert tickets went up for grabs this morning. I've been whinging about the fact that you can only apply if you have one of them new fangled mobile phones, and a billing acount phone to boot. What about the lo-fi kids like me with a pay as you go? Or the super lo-fi dads like mine who don't even have a phone, but still like to rock?

Mr Librarian entered a competition by email in our Sunday paper yesterday. Whilst I am still amused by the Saturday evening 'spot the 10 differences' in my back-home local paper (you can win £20!), he is above these things, and entered the 'spot the snippet of an obscure painting' in the slighly more high brow Independent on Sunday. Mr Librarian is very clever at all things art and sciencey, which is good, as I'm not. We'd make a killer quiz team, as I could answer all the biscuit/shoe/boy band related questions, and he could answer all the clever clogs questions.

This competition frenzy got me thinking; whatever happened to all the blank postcards? You know, answers on a postcard (or sealed down envelope). Any parent worth their salt had a book of blank postcards in the kitchen cupboard for Saturday morning competitions to win a signed photograph of Curiosity Killed The Cat, or a Blue Peter 'name the latest pet' competition. Is there a whole industry of postcard makers that have gone down the drain because of all these hi-tech enter using electricity methods? Have all the blank postcards lost their dignity and given themselves over the printed side? Do they all have saucy seasides scenes where they were once white and pure?

Well kids, I'm starting the backlash. I'm entering the Live8 competition by
post. And if I don't get tickets, I'm going to continue Sir Bob's crazy everything-8ness by having my very own 'Going to work on a Saturday and being annoyed 'cus there will be loads of traffic around Hyde Park making my journey to the station fifteen times as long-8'.

ADDED 08/06/05 - News just in! I'm getting this woman to join my postcard campaign.

No comments: