Friday, June 17, 2005

Too much month at the end of the money

It's pay day today, hooray! I have forgotten my pin number, boo! As soon as I stood in front of the cash machine this morning, my mind went blank. I'm hoping that I'll remember it soon as there are many albums I want to get (New Foos, Nine Black Alps, The Magic Numbers, Hard-Fi) and I'm going away for the weekend!

More distressing than the pin-number forgetting incident is me having officially lost the ability to travel light. How did I manage an 8 month trip with only 2 pairs of trousers and 5 t-shirts when now I feel I have to take three entire changes of outfits for a 2 day trip to my parents? On the final journey home I had in my day pack, 2 bottles wine from New Zealand, a pair of hiking boots, change of clothing, toiletries, magazines, 600+ page novel, 4 mugs with the logo "I heart NY" and various other bits of crap. In my day pack. The small bag. Today I have brought my tiny Miffy case and have, amongst other things, chargers for both my MP3 player and my mobile (including the adapter from Australian to English electric). For 2 days. I have so much clean underwear with me Mr Librarian must've thought his luck was in and I was leaving for good!

Packing bags always makes me feel travel sick. Not travel sick in a head-exploding-dizzy-like-a-drunk plane taking off way, or travel sick in a potential-vomit-with-every-bump-in-the-road on the bus trip between LA and San Fransisco, but travel sick in a wish-I-was-still-travelling kinda way. To cheer myself up I had a pineapple juice on the way to work this morning, always reminds me of travelling, it's just so exotic! Mmm, pineapple...To rub in the fact that I am not on my travels, I had to walk around the airport pick-up bus at the hotel next to work this morning, and guess what the last thing that came on 'random' this morning? (after the three Suede songs in a row. Random? Lazy.) Radiohead 'The Tourist'. It's all about the travel nostalgia today.

No comments: