Thursday, June 02, 2005

The perils of being too poor for a mortgage

The current abode of myself and Mr Librarian is very small. In estate agent speak it is "cosy". We have so little storage space that when we do a big food shop, we have to keep some of it in bags under the kitchen table. If we have more than one guest you can barely move. The night we moved in (and then every Monday at 1am for six weeks in a row) the upstairs neighbours woke up up by having the loudest sex you ever did hear. Vile. We've been there for a nearly a year now and I just about feel settled. When we spoke to our landlord about getting a new contract he said "the rent will stay the same". Silly me for not realising that this actually meant "I will write to you in a few weeks time with a letter stating that the rent will actually be increasing". Silly, silly me. I must remember to take that crash course in How To Understand Landlord. We may have to move flats. I am not amused.

To see if it would cheer me up any at lunch I ate a packet of crisps, a bag of maltesers, a minty sweet and drank a can of fizzy pop.

I am still not amused. And now I feel sick. And we still probably have to move. Pass the cardboard boxes...

No comments: